Software-supported logistics lead to more sales: SNP migrates Steiff to S/4HANASteiff
Sales of Steiff’s children’s clothing and plush toys are largely characterized by seasonal business and campaigns. For example, more goods are sold at Easter and Christmas. In the fashion industry, sales fluctuate depending on the season and new collections. It is therefore particularly important to ensure that supply is tailored to the demand and the target group, so that goods are available when they are needed. After all, out-of-stock goods lead to lost sales and frustration for customers both young and old. With this in mind, Steiff planned to introduce software-supported logistics with its own distribution centers to increase flexibility and ensure precise deliveries. For this purpose, the existing SAP ERP system needed to be migrated to SAP S/4HANA. In the new system, the SAP industry solution “IS Retail” also had to be activated in order to map master data in detail. A selective transfer was planned for the data from the previous system.
Move to SAPS/4HANA
Customized system conversion through integration of BAPI technology for retail/fashion –individually tailored to the retail and fashion business.
Selective migration by time slice; technical migration of business partners; activation of New GL with ledgers without document split; implementation in one-step approach;affectedSAP modules:FI,CO,AM,MM,SD,PP,QM, PM , Retail, Fashion, third-party applications; harmonization of business partners and distribution channels.
- Target system:S/4HANA1909 SP02 with the components Retail and Fashion
- IBM Power8 (OS400) DELL Vmware(SLES)
The data migration from SAP ERP to S/4HANA was carried out using the SNP BLUEFIELD™approach andCrystalBridge®–The Data TransformationPlatform.
The following CrystalBridge®modules and components were used: Mission Control (MC), Interface Scan (If), Transformation Cockpit (Tc), Data Consistency Verification (Dc), Automated Testing (At).
The Solution & the resulting benefits
In addition to selectively migrating the existing SAP ERP system to S/4HANA, a new structure was created for the specific needs of the retail and fashion industry.
The transfer of merchandise previously posted as industrial articles to retail/fashion master data involved new variant configurations for the various clothing sizes and product groups. The migration was performed using the BLUEFIELD™ approach and CrystalBridge® – The Data Transformation Platform. This project was the first installation worldwide with the solution “S/4 Migration with Retail Industry Component (Add-ons).”
All the project goals were achieved to the customer’s complete satisfaction in terms of quality and timing. In the event of changes at short notice, the SNP team was able to respond flexibly and, together with the Steiff team, ensure an error-free and rapid system conversion.
- One-step approach to achieve rapid and cost-efficient project implementation
- Project backlog avoided thanks to an early conversion to S/4HANA combined with the certainty of having the best partner on board for the crucial conversion
- Switch to state-of-the-art SAP technology enables Steiffto benefit from highly reliable planning for future technology investments
- Greater efficiency, variability and flexibility for campaigns and seasonal business
- Significantly less effort required for future master data maintenance due to harmonization of business partners
- Smooth business continuity due to very short downtime
- Customized system conversion through integration of BAPI technology for retail/fashion –individually tailored to the retail and fashion business
Bringing SNP on board was the perfect decision for this important project. I can therefore recommend SNP to any company planning to convert to S/4HANA. I was particularly impressed with the close and collaborative working relationship with our team, which enabled us to complete the conversion on time despite the significant COVID challenges.
CEO Margarete SteiffGmbH