RWE Completes Complex Group Restructuring with SNP’s Software-based Transformation ApproachRWE
RWE wants to expand its position as one of the world’s leading companies in the field of renewable energies. Today, RWE Renewables is already considered world-leading in the field of offshore wind energy. In order to expand its generation capacity for green energy to 50 gigawatts by 2030, RWE is making a gross investment of EUR 50 billion during this decade. The portfolio is based on offshore and onshore wind, solar power, hydro power, hydrogen, storage, batteries and gas. For the energy sources nuclear energy and coal, the government has defined a phaseout, which the company is implementing responsibly. The separation of business units, companies and markets had an immediate and complex impact on the entire system landscape. In RWE’s two central SAP systems, the different divisions were implemented in different organizational and country-related structures. The challenge was to smoothly separate the systems from the mixed structures, processes and data so that both RWE and Innogy each had their own structures and data in their own functioning SAP system. The time frame was tight and non-negotiable due to legal deadlines that resulted from the company foundations.
Separation of SAP systems in different organizational structures (e.g. at plant level)
and deletion of unnecessary data in source and target.
The project durations varied according to the requirements profile from four months in the case of a plant relocation to one year for a split scenario for restructuring.
SNP has responded flexibly to all of RWE’s requirements. Changes to the rule base can now be configured quickly without programming efforts and individual objects with changes can be migrated subsequently within minutes – even after the data migration.
The SNP portfolio was used for the S/4 migration, restructuring via split and the plant relocation. In-house developments and add-ons were also used in the different transformation scenarios.
CrystalBridge® – The Data Transformation Platform
During the RWE restructuring, the following lighthouse projects, among others,
- Initial separation of RWE and Innogy data on the SAP ERP core systems
- Separation of purchasing organizations in purchasing documents
- Plant relocations in the nuclear power division (220 million data records)
- Migration of document data to the SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- Migration of Innogy S/4 data that belong to the RWE Renewable business unit
back to SAP ECC (S4 -> ECC)
- Deletion of RWE data from the Innogy system
- Deletion of Innogy data from the RWE system (6.5 billion data records)
- Provision of archive systems to store historical data
The Solution and Benefits
RWE chose the transformation specialist SNP for implementing the extensive, highly complex and time-critical transformation. The software-based transformation approach and the data transformation speed were particularly decisive factors for RWE’s decision to work with SNP.
The multitude of individual conversions – from the separation of purchasing organizations in purchasing documents, the plant relocation of the nuclear power plants division, the deletion of data to the setup of information systems and the migration of an SAP S/4HANA system to an SAP ECC system – included two extensive
lighthouse projects with which the main separation of the companies took place.
- Several projects implemented simultaneously
- Tight deadlines met and downtime requirements surpassed (by 1/3)
- 4,000 customer tables neatly separated
- Enormous data volumes transformed and migrated with a software-based approach
- Go-live rescheduled by RWE and performed without incidents