SAP Carve-Out within an ever-shrinking time window
Murphy OilOngoing pressure from the acquiring company resulted in four months being shaved off the project. This required regular weekend and overnight work.
At a Glance
Murphy Oil Corporation sold its assets in Malaysia to PTT Exploration Exchange and Production for USD 2.035 billion. To facilitate the divestiture from a technical perspective, the customer wanted to carve out all data related to its Malaysia operations.
The challenges Murphy Oil Corporation faced included:
- Lacking in-house experience with technical divestitures
- Lacking available resources to staff and work the project full time
- Strict time constraints at the request of the buyer
- Commitment to delivering a working system to the acquiring company
- IT divestiture planning was delayed
Disciplined delivery approach
Speed without sacrificing quality
Minimized resource requirements
Prior industry experience
Prior divestiture support experience
Prior unique SAP solution experience (IS-O&G, EH&S)
The SNP team worked diligently to support the completion of the Murphy Oil – PTT Exploration Exchange transaction.
The approach developed and implemented by SNP included:
- Identification and consideration of industry data retention requirements
- Due diligence with respect to hierarchy elements, data volume, and document volume
- Three test cycles
- Leveraging the SAP Landscape Transformation tool at the request of the customer
- Global delivery locations
- Post-go-live support
What was not expected, but handled successfully, was the constant pressure to reduce the project timeline.
- Two company codes representing the Malaysia operations
- Full suite of SAP functionality including EH&S
- IS-Oil & Gas solution
- Full data history
About Murphy Oil
Murphy Oil Corporation is a USD 2.6 billion global independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company. The company’s diverse resource base includes offshore production in Canada and the Gulf of Mexico, as well as North America onshore plays in the Eagle Ford Shale, Kaybob Duvernay and Tupper Montney. Their floating production system (FPS) delivers oil and natural gas to onshore facilities for processing into products such as gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and other petrochemical materials. Other offshore exploration blocks are in offshore Mexico, Brazil, Vietnam, Brunei, and Australia.